Monday, February 9, 2009

Treadmill Free Weekend

It felt good to get out on Saturday morning after my zombie like state on Friday from the Thursday night activity. The temperatures have been so frigid around here lately, we were ecstatic with the forty degree reprieve. Terri and I went out running together Saturday morning. The sun was shining and there was a flurry of other walkers out. We ran a new route on the street this morning because the usual path was still covered with patches of snow and ice and did not want to get hurt. We had to avoid numerous puddles as the snow was melting at a rapid rate but it felt great to be outside and off the treadmill. My wife’s Garmin died at the 2 mile mark, but I still had mine and announced the miles. As we got back closer to home we split up and she headed home and I finished with a comfortable seven miler with a 9:45 overall pace for the day.

After our run, Terri and I took Dante to school for a fun fair and then to his basketball game. His team won and he had 8 points for the game. We ended the day by going out for an early dinner at Famous Dave’s. I love the ribs and brisket combo platter.

On Sunday, I got up before anyone and made coffee and read the paper. I was finished and Terri and Dante were still sleeping so I got dressed and headed out with no particular goal in mind. It was a bit colder at 30 degrees and overcast, but nonetheless, I was happy to be outside and not on the treadmill again. I started out on the same course as we ran Saturday and enjoyed the new scenery. I enjoyed my run with my wife yesterday, but seemed to get into a good zone running by myself this morning. I was able to push myself a little faster without worrying about someone else keeping up. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy running with others, but sometimes you just need to get out by yourself. I finished my 5.75 miler with a 9:15 pace. My new goal is to start to work on my speed.

All in all, I was happy with my progress for the week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-7989282-1