Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Training Day 1

Today officially starts the 1st run of my 18 week marathon training program. The weather is kinda crappy so I will be kicking it off on the treadmill in the basement. I, like many others, have a love hate relationship with the treadmill. It’s nice to be able to run in the comfort of your home but I sure miss Mother Nature. I guess I need to suck it up, deal with it and be thankful I have an option.

I have been looking at my planned long weekend runs and found that there is the Wisconsin ½ marathon on May 1st which is the same day as I have a 13 miler scheduled. My wife doesn’t want to run it, but I think it would a great way to train. It would be nice to have the crowds and water stations along the way. I am not sure if she is opposed to this race because of the $$$ or just because the preparation of getting there and logistics. I have a friend who is planning on running this (his first one) and it would be nice to be there, but I don’t want to cause animosity and leave my wife behind. I think this may be one of those damned if I do and damned if I don’t scenarios.

Since my doctor advised me to cut back eliminate alcohol for my upcoming blood test, I have graciously allowed my wife to choose the next keg for the kegarator. I am sorry to say that New Glarus will have to wait a while longer before I can return. She picked Blue Moon and it is supposed to come in today. I will go pick it up, pour her a glass and then try to persuade her to run Kenosha with me.



10 comments:

  1. If she get's the Moon, you get Kenosha. It's only fair. So sayeth Jamoosh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony,
    I saw that you had one comment already and I knew it was from Jamoosh:) He is so flipping speedy with typing the comments....you have to love that guy! Anyway, cheers to marathon training kick offs! I just checked my race schedule because Wisconsin is just next door and I thought possibly it might be one that I could do. Unfortunately, I have the Lake Minnetonka half on May 2nd. Are you planning on running any in Minnesota? Let me know if you do because it would be great to meet you and your wife! Have a good one Tony! Also, thank you so much for your nice comments, I do appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on kicking off the marathon training. Mother Nature hasn't been terribly kind this year. I'd love to run the Wisc 1/2 one of these years...
    Good luck negotiating with your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo Hoo for the first day of training.

    At 10 years old your son is doing great by running the 5K's that he does do. You are creating the spark in him and when he gets to join track or XC in high school then you'll see his interest grow. He'll probably end up beating you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the training. Always nice to get started towards a goal. Seems a lot of people are fighting the elements at the moment. Treadmill is better than nothing, but can be terrible some times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for the first day of training! Isn't the Wisconsin marathon the race they give medals shaped like a wedge of cheese for??? I would like to run that, but it falls on the same day as a canoe race here I like to do. But you need to get the cheesehead medal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have seriously never been to Minnesota? You need to get your butt over here! Come in the summer and bring the whole family...there is so much to do and see. I think that you would like it and would probably have a really good time. Are you going to run in the Fargo half marathon? I can't remember when that one is but I was thinking about running in it if my schedule permits.

    Did you see that I tagged you....I am looking forward to reading your list:) Have a great day Tony!!

    ReplyDelete

 
UA-7989282-1